North York General Hospital's Freeman Centre for the Advancement of Palliative Care offers a compassionate program specifically designed to meet the needs of patients and their families who are living with cancer.
Our practices are based on providing each patient and their loved ones with respect, dignity, and an individualized care plan that meets their specific needs in symptom management, preparation for end-of-life, loss, grief, and bereavement.
The Freeman Centre for the Advancement of Palliative Care offers:
- In-home care for adults living with advanced cancer within the catchment areas: south of Steeles Ave., north of Lawrence Ave., west of Victoria Park Ave., and east of Bathurst Street
- In-hospital care with six dedicated short-term acute oncology palliative care beds
- Hospital-wide consultation.
The Freeman Centre team includes physicians, clinical nurse specialists, nurses, social workers, pharmacists, chaplains, a psychiatrist, a physiotherapist, a dietitian, an occupational therapist, and volunteers. They collaborate with other members of the health care team to provide:
- Expert care to relieve distressing physical symptoms
- Relief of spiritual, psychosocial and emotional symptoms at every stage of living with cancer, including the end of life
- Education and assistance with treatment choices and decisions
- Coordination of support services to facilitate care at home, in hospital, or in other care setting
- Counseling and support for the patient and family, and
- Follow-up during bereavement.
Our palliative care team members are committed to sharing their extensive knowledge and experience with others. Through our affiliation with the Department of Family and Community Medicine and the University of Toronto, we teach nursing, social work, medical students and residents about palliative care. All of our programs are available at no cost. Please contact us to find out more about our services.
Freeman Centre for the Advancement of Palliative Care
North York General Hospital, General site
4001 Leslie Street, 3rd floor west
Toronto Ontario M2K 1E1
Telephone: 416-756-6000 ext. 4138
Learn more about palliative care on the World Health Organization website.