Critically ill patients are always treated first in our Emergency Department.
Wait times for other patients may vary. How long you wait may be affected by:
- the number of people waiting to be seen in the Emergency
- the severity of their illness or injury
- available assessment rooms
We are continually working to reduce wait times. It may be difficult to determine exactly how long your visit will take. However, if your condition changes at any time during your visit, please speak with a nurse or other team member.
- All patients report to the Triage Reception Desk when they arrive at the Emergency. (Triage means deciding who must be seen first. This is done by the severity of illness or injury, not the order in which patients arrive.)
- You will be assessed by a specially trained nurse before going to Registration. The most seriously ill or injured patients are seen first in our Charlotte & Lewis Steinberg Emergency.
- Please be sure to bring a list of all your prescribed medications and any herbal medications you take.
- The triage nurse will ask about your main concern during this visit, your health history, allergies and other health information.
- Please provide accurate information about your primary health practitioner (for example, your family physician) and family contact information.