1) What is the minimum commitment I have to make to the program?
Our volunteers typically volunteer 1 time per week, 3 to 4 hours per day. We work together with our volunteers to ensure that your availability is taking into consideration, such as planned vacations and other commitments.
2) Once my volunteer placement is confirmed, what do I need to do?
Once you are and offered a placement in our program, you must:
- Complete a mandatory Communicable Diseases Surveillance Protocol (this includes documentation that all immunizations are up-to-date in addition to providing documentation of a completed two-step TB test)
- Attend a volunteer orientation session
- Sign hospital privacy and code of conduct documents
- Attend additional unit/area training and orientation
- Submit a Vulnerable Sector Check at the request of the Volunteer Services Department
- $30 deposit for a uniform and photo identification badge
3) I have previously volunteered at North York General Hospital; do I need to submit a new application for the program if I want to return?
No, if you have previously volunteered at North York General, please contact the office at 416-756-6088 for further information.
4) Do you provide designated parking for volunteers?
Yes, registered North York General volunteers receive complimentary parking while on duty at the organization. Our volunteers park in the visitors parking lots at each site.5) I am medically trained and I wish to use my skills in order to gain further experience. Can I do this as a volunteer?
We do not offer placements that enable you to practice your professionally acquired skills. What this means is, although you have been medically trained as a nurse, doctor, physiotherapist, pharmacists, lab technician etc. you may not practice those skills as a volunteer.