The Genetics Program at North York General Hospital is one of Ontario's largest regional genetics centres with a strong family-focused approach to patient care. We offer comprehensive diagnostic, counselling and testing services to individuals and families with genetic concerns. The Genetics Program meets the needs of people through all stages of life: from preconception through pregnancy, and from childhood through the adult years.
Genetic testing can:
- Determine the chance of having a child with a genetic condition or birth defect.
- Diagnose genetic diseases after symptoms begin
- Indicate the likelihood of developing an inherited condition such as Huntington disease or hereditary breast cancer later in life.
As one of Ontario's largest, full service programs, we provide services in several areas:
- Assessment, diagnosis and counselling for patients.
- Laboratory testing for patients at our centre and throughout the province.
Our facilities are integrated on one floor with state-of-the-art equipment. They enhance the ability of our professionals to deliver a full range of consultation, diagnostic and support services in one convenient location.
Patients may be referred to the Genetics Program by their physician or midwife. Referral forms and additional information for NYGH’s Genetics Program.