Visitors, families and caregivers are an important part of a patient’s care and healing. Please see our Visitor Information page for the latest guidelines and processes in place at North York General sites.
Precautions for entering the hospital
When entering NYGH and its community sites, everyone must take the following steps:
- Step 1: Confirm you have self-screened for COVID-19 symptoms. Do not enter if feeling unwell, showing symptoms, are COVID-19 positive, awaiting results of a COVID-19 test, in close contact with a COVID-19 positive person, or in quarantine.
- Step 2: Clean your hands with hand sanitizer available from a provided dispenser.
- Step 3: Take a mask from the dispenser if visiting a patient-care area such as an inpatient unit, our emergency department, ambulatory/ day clinic, medical imaging, and any waiting and registration space. Please wear your mask at all times and ensure it covers your mouth, nose and chin. Personal cloth masks/ face coverings are not permitted on site.
Masks Required for Patient Areas
- Everyone must continue to wear masks provided by NYGH in all patient-care areas at our sites. This includes inpatient units, our emergency department, ambulatory/ day clinics, medical imaging, and all waiting and registration areas. Thank you for protecting our patients by wearing a mask.
- Masks are highly recommended but not mandatory in all non-patient care areas like the cafeteria or Tim Horton’s, particularly when a distance of 2 metres or 6 feet cannot be kept from others.
- As the result of vaccination and the safety measures such as masking in high-risk areas, fewer people are getting seriously ill from COVID-19. However, the virus is still circulating in the community and can be harmful especially to seniors and other at-risk groups.
- Vaccination is our best protection from infection and illness. As proof of vaccination requirements are eased in Ontario, NYGH will no longer require visitors, families and Essential Care Partners (support people) to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to enter NYGH sites.
- If you haven’t done so yet please get your vaccinations and booster shots as soon as you can. See vaccination clinics near you.
Preventing the spread of respiratory viruses
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
For information about how to access testing for COVID-19 visit COVID‑19 testing and treatment | ontario.ca.