North York General Hospital (NYGH) is a leading community teaching hospital, accredited by the Association of Canadian Occupational Therapy University Programs (ACOTUP). Our vision is to lead the pursuit of excellence through learning, innovation and partnerships.
Occupational Therapy is a health profession that focuses on independence in everyday living by assisting individuals to maintain ability, develop skills, restore function and promote health.
- Occupational Therapy services at NYGH are offered in the following areas:
- Paediatrics (including the NICU)
- Medical units (inpatient)
- Geriatric programs (inpatient, outpatient and community outreach)
- Surgical Program (inpatient and outpatient plastics)
- Adult Mental Health (inpatient, outpatient and community outreach)
- Occupational Health
The following placements are offered:
- North York General Hospital is affiliated with the University of Toronto and offers Occupational Therapy placements to students from across Canada and internationally. Student placements are offered at the General site, Branson Ambulatory Care Centre, and Seniors' Health Centre — under the supervision of dedicated preceptors. Fieldwork experience is available in a variety of programs including: paediatrics, mental health, medicine, surgery, and geriatrics.
Occupational Therapy (OT) and Occupational Therapy Assistant (OTA) students are provided with the clinical experience of working collaboratively with patients, families and the interprofessional health care team to achieve optimal patient outcomes.
- Shadowing experiences by non-OT students