Dr. Kevin Katz
With the recent Omicron surge on everyone’s mind, the Pulse sat down with Dr. Kevin Katz, Medical Director of Infection Prevention and Control at North York General to get his advice on how to have a safer holiday season.
- Get vaccinated as soon as you are able. WithOmicron, three doses are needed to provide the best protection against symptomatic infection, but two doses does protect against severe illness and hospitalization.
- Keep gatherings small and limit contacts as much as possible. Everyone wants to see family and friends over the holidays but the smaller the gathering the better.
- Use rapid tests. If you must gather in small groups, taking a rapid test at home right before can help to catch infections if you don’t have any symptoms.
- Gather outdoors as much as possible. Consider opening windows to increase ventilation indoors.
- Continue to mask, distance and practice good hand hygiene. Following tried and true public health measures are the best way to prevent infection.