North York General Hospital (NYGH) is one of Canada's leading community academic hospitals. We offer our diverse community a wide range of acute care, ambulatory, and long-term care services across multiple sites. Through partnerships, collaboration, and academic endeavours, we seek to set new standards for people centred care. NYGH Volunteers generously share their time and talent, delivering compassionate and respectful service to our patients, residents, and their families across our sites. Volunteers are a valued and integral part of the team at NYGH, they are making a world of difference!
NYGH Volunteer Program requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age. Currently not an employee, nor learner, and will not be applying for an academic placement at NYGH in the next year.
- Be willing to complete the required Communicable Disease Surveillance Protocol at the hospital, this includes a 2-Step TB Test, and proof of immunity.
- Be willing to provide proof of COVID vaccine (minimum 2 doses) and flu shot.
- Be available for a weekly 4-hour shift, minimum one-year commitment. Currently volunteer opportunities are available Monday-Friday, between 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
- Some volunteer placements require a Vulnerable Sector Check. Volunteers incur the cost, and it is not reimbursed (cost is between $20- $35).
- Volunteers accepted to the program provide a $20 deposit for their uniform and I.D. Badge. Deposit is returned when volunteers exit the program.
Current Volunteer Opportunities:
Volunteer Services provides a variety of volunteer programming to support our patients and residents. When staff are working with accepted volunteers to determine their placement, we do our best to work from a mutual match philosophy. However, currently our needs are:
- for volunteers to assist with patient and families finding their way around the facility/clinics at the General site.
- for volunteers to enhance patient experience in a variety of volunteer roles.
How to apply: If you meet the above requirements and are interested in helping to meet our current volunteer needs apply now.
Thank you for your interest in NYGH’s Volunteer Program