North York General Hospital offers testing by appointment only.
The Ministry of Health, with Ontario Health, have announced changes to who is eligible for a COVID-19 test at Assessment Centres and implemented appointment-based testing.
Or call 416-635-2509 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to book your appointment over the phone.
Important update: As of December 11, following guidelines from the Ontario Government, Assessment Centre's, including North York General's, will no longer be providing testing for international travel.
Book an appointment for a COVID-19 test ONLY if you:
- Have symptoms of COVID-19
- Have had close contact with someone who has tested positive for the virus (call Toronto Public Health 416-338-7600 to better understand if your exposure is considered “close contact”)
- Have received notification through the COVID Alert app
- Live or work in a setting that has a COVID-19 outbreak, as identified and informed by the local public health unit
- Are a resident, visiting a resident or work in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting
- Are an NYGH patient and require a test for surgery
- Are at greater risk for COVID-19 due to a health condition (e.g., starting treatment for cancer or is directed by their treating clinician)
- Are an international student who has passed the 14-day quarantine period
On December 25, the Assessment Centre will be open for swabbing from 12 noon to 8 p.m. and the phone lines will be open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Please note: if you require further assistance and need accommodations, call 416-635-2509 to speak with a team member who will be able to assist you with your visit needs.
Testing in pharmacies is now available to those not showing symptoms and who are a resident or working in an at-risk setting, such as a long-term care home, homeless shelter or other congregate setting. See the full list of participating pharmacies.
If you have severe symptoms or require immediate medical attention, please call 911 or proceed to the nearest Emergency Department.
*Due to high volumes, COVID-19 test results may take up to four days to become available. We are not able to expedite test results. Thank you for your patience.