We understand the importance and integral role families, loved ones and caregivers have in providing physical, social and emotional support to patients. Beginning June 30, North York General Hospital is starting its phased approach to safely reintroduce visitors to the hospital. Seniors' Health Centre has also entered their first phase of visitor access as of June 18.
All inpatients can have one (1) designated visitor (over the age of 18) at the patient's or decision-maker's discretion.
For patient who are at end of life, please contact the unit as exception apply.
Arranging a visit
- One designated visitor, according to the criteria above may visit a patient.
- Visits must be pre-booked in advance to help us minimize crowding, by contacting the unit where the patient is staying.
- Visitors must be over the age of 18
- Please read the FAQ below for more information on how to book your visit.
Day of visit
- Please do not visit the hospital if you are feeling unwell, even if it is only the mildest symptoms.
- Enter only through the South lobby entrance. The only exception is for those going to see patients in the Emergency Department (ED) – you must enter through the ED.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled time slot to allow for screening.
- Upon arrival, you will be screened for COVID-19 related symptoms. People displaying any symptoms will not be able to visit and will need to reschedule.
- Mask must be worn (covering your nose and mouth) throughout the entire visit. You may bring your own clean cloth mask. If you do not have a mask, we will provide you with a disposable mask.
- When you arrive on the unit, please sign in and follow their instructions. Once you are ready to leave please also sign out.
- Strict infection prevention measures must be followed throughout the visit including frequent hand washing, wearing personal protective equipment if necessary, as directed by the staff and maintaining physical distancing.
- You must remain in the patient’s room for the entire scheduled visit. To reduce the risk of spreading the virus, going for walks is currently not permitted.
- Food may be brought if individually packaged and may not shared. All leftovers must be discarded and cannot be kept in unit fridges. All containers must be cleaned at home and unit pantry’s may not be used.