Frequently Asked Questions

Who should be referred to the long-term care home at the Seniors' Health Centre? 

Seniors with complex health and physical needs — when it is difficult for family members, family physicians and community support services to continue providing the required level of care in the community. 

How can a person be admitted to the home?

All applications must be sent to the Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) who will coordinate the application process with the resident/family. 

Who may contact the home for admission? 

Contact or referrals may be initiated by the LHIN, physicians or other health professionals, family members, friends, community agencies or seniors themselves. The first step should be to contact the LHIN  closest to you. They will provide assistance through the process of admissions. 

Can my family physician still care for me? 

Seven physicians are on staff at SHC and provide care to the majority of our residents. However, you may still have your family physician look after your needs, provided he or she agrees to do so and can meet the SHC’s requirements. 

How can residents let staff know of their wishes regarding their care and treatment?

Residents can let the staff know about their wishes regarding their care and treatment by filling out a Living Will or Advance Directive Form. A copy of this form will be placed on the front of your chart so all professional care staff will be able to access your wishes. A living will or advanced directive is a statement of the resident's wishes regarding care and treatment. The purpose of such a statement is to inform physicians and nursing staff of your care choices. This will ensure the care you wish to have can be planned for and implemented. . 

 Many residents have particular wishes regarding medical procedures such as cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) or medical treatments such as antibiotics. Some residents wish to be transferred to hospital and receive treatment including advanced life support for all health crises, while others wish to stay at the SHC and receive comfort measures. The choice is yours. If you are too ill to make decisions, family members or powers of attorney/guardians must make decisions on your behalf. 

These decisions often cause guilt or conflict and can be very difficult to make at a time of crisis. You can help avoid conflict later on by discussing your wishes in advance with your family, guardian, or the person who holds power of attorney for personal decisions. You may also designate a substitute decision maker who will make decisions if you are unable to do so. Discussing your wishes ahead of time makes it more possible for your health care team to act on your wishes. 

You must designate a primary contact or substitute decision maker when you are admitted, and keep the information up-to-date. This person will be contacted in an emergency, or in other less urgent situations, or if there is a change in your health status. The name and phone numbers of your substitute decision maker and next of kin will be listed on the front of your chart. 

You or your substitute decision maker can alter your decision regarding your future health at any time, especially if your condition changes. Let your wishes be known to the health care team — we will always respect and support your expressed wishes. 

What does it cost to live at the Seniors' Health Centre? 

The centre provides accommodation in private, semi-private and standard rooms. Rates are established by the Government of Ontario and are available upon request. 

Are there pets at the Seniors' Health Centre? 

Yes, SHC residents are able to have fish or birds as pets. These friends provide many hours of enjoyment to staff and residents alike. We have several dog and cat visitors as well.

What is the smoking policy? 

The SHC supports a smoke-free environment. There is a designated smoking area for residents only. Visitors, staff and families are not permitted to smoke in the centre. 

Can I bring my own furniture? 

All rooms at the SHC have standard furnishings. However, we encourage residents to bring familiar personal objects such as paintings, photographs, and comforters. Televisions, telephones, easy chairs and similar items can also be arranged by families. 

Can I take a leave of absence from the centre without losing my bed?

Several types of leaves of absence are available to all residents. They include: casual leave, vacation leave, medical leave, and, psychiatric leave. A bed may be held for up to 21 days following medical leaves. 

What type of consultant services are available at the centre? 

Many consultation services can be arranged when your doctor requests them. These include physiotherapy, chiropody and dental services, among others. 

Seniors’ Health Centre virtual town hall Q&A

Seniors’ Health Centre held a virtual town hall for families on October 30, 2020. All answers provided address general questions relevant to different families. Please click here to read the town hall Q&A