Colorectal cancer patient navigator
Navigating the complex health care system is not easy. At North York General Hospital we want each patient to receive and understand the information needed to make good decisions about their health care. We encourage patients to ask questions and be engaged in their care. We believe that health care should be a partnership. Health care providers bring medical knowledge, but each patient brings their own unique expertise, including their family experiences and their needs to the partnership.
What is a patient navigator?
A patient navigator is a health care professional who guides patients through the health care system; connecting them with the right professionals and helping them gain access to available resources. The patient navigator is based at the hospital and is an ongoing resource for patients and families.
What does a patient navigator do?
- Guides patients through their colorectal cancer journey from diagnosis to recovery
- Prepares patients for appointments and treatment
- Provides information and educational materials
- Coordinates care and liaises between all members of the health care team
- Helps patients and families access and connect with community resources
- Enhances the patient experience through emotional support along the entire journey
How do I contact a patient navigator?
Anyone is able to contact the patient navigator directly at:
Amy Su, Gastrointestinal Cancer Patient Navigator