Our Day Hospital is an outpatient rehabilitation service aimed at helping seniors maintain their sense of dignity and independence through improved health and quality of life.
We offer a range of services including assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and education for those 65 and older and their families.
Most assessments are made at the Day Hospital. However if someone is too frail to make the trip, our Geriatric Medicine Outreach Team can visit them at home.
Goals of the Geriatric Day Hospital
- Decrease the need for emergency admission to hospital.
- Decrease the need for admission to a long-term care facility.
- Provide services that make earlier discharge from hospital possible.
- Where appropriate, help the discharge of residents from a long-term care home back to the community.
Helping individuals to regain independence involves caregivers as well as the client. We also work with community services such as home support agencies and others dedicated to the health and well-being of seniors. We offer both individual and group health counselling to patients and their families.
Our professionals are highly trained in all aspects of geriatric care. Members of your health care team at the Day Hospital may include: dietitian, nurse, recreation therapist, pharmacist, physiotherapist, occupational therapist, social worker, and physician. We use other professional services on a consultation basis, as required.
Who should be referred?
Our services help people whose complex health and social problems make it difficult for them, their family members, family physicians and other health care services, to provide the support they need. To be admitted, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- 65 and older
- have multiple medical, functional or psychosocial problems
- show potential to benefit from a team approach
- not a resident of a long-term care home, unless considering a return to community living and
- be willing and able to participate safely within the group.
The Day Hospital operates Monday to Thursday, 9:30 a.m. to 12 noon.
Clients come either Monday/Wednesday or Tuesday/Thursday based on availability. The length of stay for clients will be determined after initial assessments are completed by the Specialized Geriatric Team.
Access the Specialized Geriatric Referrral Form