Visitors, families and caregivers are an important part of a patient’s care and healing. Please see our Visitor Information page for the latest guidelines and processes in place at North York General sites.
Precautions for entering the hospital
When entering NYGH and its community sites, everyone must take the following steps:
- Step 1: Confirm your have self-screened for COVID-19 symptoms. Do not enter if feeling unwell, showing symptoms, are COVID-19 positive, awaiting results of a COVID-19 test, in close contact with a COVID-19 positive person, or in quarantine.
- Step 2: Clean your hands with hand sanitizer available from a provided dispenser.
- Step 3: Take a mask from the dispenser and wear it at all times covering your mouth, nose and chin. Personal cloth masks/ face coverings are not permitted on site.
Watch this video to learn more about the updated screening process for visitors.
- Everyone must continue to wear masks provided by NYGH at all of our sites. Masks help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and outbreaks. Thank you for protecting our patients and team members by wearing a mask.
- As the result of vaccination and the safety measures such as masking in high-risk areas, fewer people are getting seriously ill from COVID-19. However, the virus is still circulating in the community and can be harmful especially to seniors and other at-risk groups.
- Vaccination is our best protection from infection and illness. As proof of vaccination requirements are eased in Ontario, NYGH will no longer require visitors, families and Essential Care Partners (support people) to provide proof of full COVID-19 vaccination to enter NYGH sites.
- If you haven’t done so yet please get your vaccinations and booster shots as soon as you can. See vaccination clinics near you.
Preventing the spread of respiratory viruses
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
North York General Hospital offers testing by appointment only at our North York Cough, Cold and COVID Test Clinic which is open Monday - Friday from 12 noon to 8 p.m. (closed from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.) and Saturday and Sunday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (closed from 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.).
Please note the North York Cough, Cold and COVID Test Clinic DOES NOT administer tests for upcoming travel/international travel. Those who have received a positive test result on a Rapid Antigen Test (RAT) do not need to confirm with a PCR lab test.
Please note that our testing centers do not administer COVID-19 test home kits.
Patients with a red and white health card, or no health card can call 416-635-2567 from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. to get their results. Results are usually ready 24-48 hours after the test.
A healthcare worker will contact you directly if your result is positive or if any follow up is required.
If you have trouble getting your results please call 416-635-2567 for assistance.