If you have experienced a workplace injury, especially if it involves potential exposure to infectious disease, timing is critical.
Please follow the steps below, and consult the links at the bottom of this page for more information.
1. Immediate Response
- Student informs supervisor
- Student goes to
- Occupational Health & Safety Department Monday–Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Emergency Department all other times
Student is attended to
Incident report SLIP is completed by student with the assistance of staff or physician.
2. After Accident
- Medical students inform their Academy Director
- Other students inform their placement coordinator at their academic institution
Steps to Completing a SLIP
- Click on the incident report SLIP link or go to eric (intranet). On the eric homepage, click the SLIP
- Report button under the Quick Links section. Please note, this link can only be accessed within the hospital OR if you have a valid NYGH Windows login
- Enter the site anonymously (log in using your Windows ID and password)
- Select the Employee/Affiliate Icon
Links to Policies and Procedures
- University of Toronto Medical Student Policies and Procedures for Student Clinical Workplace Injury
- University of Toronto, Postgraduate Trainee Health and Safety Guidelines
- North York General Hospital policy: Blood Borne Pathogens
- North York General Hospital policy: Hazard and Employee Incident Reporting and Investigation