The Seniors' Health Centre staff plans a wide variety of individual and group programs for our residents that foster mental and recreational stimulation and social interaction. We plan periodic outings to community events and often invite community groups into the home to host special programs at the centre.
Care and support services
Seniors' Health Centre provides 24-hour care services from highly trained nurses who are skilled in working with complex care needs. Residents also have access tophysicians affiliated with North York General Hospital who visit weekly.
The following care and support services are also available:
- Daily physiotherapy
- Weekly foot care assistance on a rotational basis
- Hearing Aid Clinics
- Regular clothing sales
- Falls Management Program
- Wound Care Management
Amenities and services
The long-term care home at the Seniors' Health Centre has been designed with the special needs and interests of our residents in mind:
- We have numerous sunrooms, lounges, patios and a solarium where residents can enjoy the sunshine and view the natural environment of our 5.2 acre property.
- Our dining rooms in each of our home areas serve nutritious, appetizing meals.
- The lounges provide an ideal place to interact with other residents, friends and family members.
- We have a comfortable resident library and reading room.
- A tuck shop, hairdressing and barbershop services, and full laundry service are available.
- We offer private, semi-private, and basic accommodation and encourage residents to personalize their rooms with items from home.
Over 40% of residents are first generation Canadians bringing with them a wide diversity of cultural/ethnic traditions. We collaborate with community organizations, as well as our hospital departments, to offer programming that keeps residents active and involved with their families, friends, community, and cultural/ religious roots.
Our Family Advisory Committee also assists us in celebrating the diversity of our residents by providing feedback on programs, spiritual celebrations and cultural food preferences.
These partnerships allow us to offer a varied and full calendar of events, including:
- A Chinese Tea Program that often includes discussion of current events and traditional food in participants' prevailing languages
- Chinese discussion groups
- In partnership with the Family Advisory Committee, SHC hosts Multicultural Nights complete with music, food and education.
- Nightly Ismaili evening prayers and bus trips to mosques and other cultural destinations
- Armenian mass, monthly luncheons, prayer groups and trips to community centre
- Weekly Jewish Sabbath services along with celebrations and recognition of all traditional Jewish holidays
- Celebration of other cultural events including: Chinese New Year, Black History Month, St. Patrick's Day, Kushiali Celebrations, Channukah, Rosh Hashannah, Passover and Canada Day
- Weekly Christian worship and prayer services, monthly Communion and significant Christian holiday services.
- Multifaith spirituality groups for all residents
- Centre-wide memorial services
- Recognizing all traditional customs and Christian practices and multfaith groups
Restorative care program
Our caring staff helps residents develop a strong sense of dignity, independence, and well-being through restorative assistance and monitoring. We do this through restorative dining and assistance and encouragement with all activities of daily living.
Student liaison program
Seniors’ Health Centre believes in strong leadership and teaching. We have a strong connection with various educational institutions that offer placements for all areas of care and services for the elderly including nursing, dietary, activities, and social services.
With more than 150 members, our volunteer team assists with programs that really make a difference. Our volunteers take residents on outings, hold special teas and do one-to-one visiting. They also assist residents with popular leisure activities such as gardening, baking and reading. To inquire about volunteer opportunities with Seniors’ Health Centre, call 416-756-0066.