North York General Hospital is recognized for offering a wide range of mental health services that meet the specific needs of individuals of all ages and their families. Through our inpatient, partial hospitalization, outpatient and outreach services, we offer excellent continuity of care.
Clinics and services
- Inpatient Care
Adult inpatient care
Geriatric inpatient care
Child and adolescent inpatient care
- Partial Hospitalization Program (Adults)
- Outpatient Services
Adult outpatient services
Geriatric outpatient services
Child and adolescent outpatient services
- Geriatric Psychiatry Program (GPP)
- Child and Adolescent Inpatient Mental Health
- Women's Clinic
- Consultation Liaison Service to Medical/Surgical/Oncology/Paediatric
Branson Ambulatory Care Centre:
- Addiction Program – Adult & Transitional Age Youth
- Assertive Community Treatment Team (ACTT)
- Partial Hospitalization Program
- Adult Outpatient Mental Health
- Outpatient Groups
- Mental Health and Justice Treatment and Support Services
- Primary Care Reversed Shared Care Services
- Participants’ Council – Peer Support
- Adolescent Eating Disorders Program
- Child and Adolescent Mental Health - Day Hospital
- Child and Adolescent Outpatient Mental Health
Educating and serving
We educate future mental health providers including residents studying to become psychiatrists. As well, we provide education to family physicians about mental health, and to a variety of other mental health professionals including social workers, child and youth counsellors, occupational therapists, psychologists, and nurses. Our telehealth program currently provides tele-psychiatry to adult populations in remote and under serviced areas of the province.
To better provide for our community's mental health care needs, North York General Hospital has partnered with the Toronto Police Service in Mobile Crisis Intervention Teams since 2014. These teams consist of a specially trained police officer and a mental health nurse who respond to 911 emergency and dispatch calls for situations involving individuals experiencing a mental health crisis.
Our approach to care
Our team-oriented professionals are committed to high quality mental health services that improve health outcomes. We have also established partnerships with regional and provincial networks of community services that ensure patients receive the very best care within the hospital and in the community.
We take a holistic approach to care that serves a patient's physical, mental, emotional and spiritual needs. Mental health professionals are available to see patients receiving care in other parts of the hospital, who also have a mental health problem or are experiencing a severe emotional reaction because of their medical condition. Family participation in their loved one's care is strongly encouraged during a patient's stay. Whenever possible, families become partners in the care and treatment of their loved one and we integrate them into decision making in a way that respects consent and privacy.