Please be advised that we are in the process of modernizing the South elevators. Beginning May 30, there will only be two South elevators available for use. Please plan accordingly for more travel time to your appointments. Thank you for your patience and support as we continue to improve our building.
Updated: July 7, 2022
Visiting a patient
NYGH welcomes families, Essential Care Partners (ECPs)/support people and visitors to our hospital and community locations. We want everyone to be safe and comfortable during their visit.
As the pandemic improves and Ontario eases some COVID-19 policies, NYGH has adjusted our guidelines for visitors and ECPs.
Please note: the Seniors’ Health Centre has a separate policy consistent with provincial directives for Long-Term Care Homes.
As the COVID-19 pandemic changes in the future, NYGH may need to make further changes to protect our patients, health care teams and the public.
Guidelines at a Glance
- Everyone can now enter and exit the General site through Entrance 2 West and Entrance 1 South between 6 a.m. and 9 p.m. and through Entrance 1 South after hours by pressing the intercom button beside the public entrance door to gain access
Expanded Visitor Access
- Patients can have visitors 24 hours a day according to their preference, with two visitors at the bed side at a time to maintain physical distancing.
- To support families, children under 14 are excluded from this limit. Children must be accompanied by an adult who is not a patient and wear a mask provided by NYGH.
- Visits with patients admitted to a unit with a declared outbreak may be considered. Speak with your patient’s care team.
- Outpatients can have up to two visitors accompany them for an appointment.
- To ensure everyone’s safety and comfort, the patient’s care team may make exceptions to the above.
- Pre-booking and signing into the unit upon arrival is no longer required.
- Virtual visits are still available over MS Teams or Facetime. To arrange a virtual visit, connect directly with the patient’s nursing unit.
- Visitors and ECPs are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19 for protection against infection and serious illness.
- If you haven’t received your vaccination or booster shot yet, please do so as soon as you can. See vaccination clinics near you.
- Consistent with Ontario’s current vaccination requirements for public spaces and the health system, proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is no longer required to enter NYGH sites.
On the Day of Your Visit
Wireless internet and phones
North York General Hospital offers free wireless internet at the General site, making it easier for our patients and visitors to stay connected with family and friends.
How to access free wireless internet:
- Enable Wi-Fi on your device (laptop, tablet or smartphone)
- Select “NYGH_GUEST” from the wireless network list
To call a patient
Dial the main hospital line at 416-756-6000 then follow the instructions and enter the extension.
You may obtain a patient's room or phone number from a volunteer at the General site's Information Desks on the main floor or on the 1rst floor. If you do not know the extension, please wait for an operator to come on the line and redirect you.
To make a call from a patient phone
Dial “9” then dial the 10-digit number you are trying to reach.
Long distance calls must be made through the operator and must be either collect (charged to another number) or credit card. For assistance, press “0”.
Cell phones and wireless communication devices are allowed in the hospital in areas where they will not interfere with sensitive electronic equipment. As a courtesy, please turn off your cell phone during appointments.
Cell phones are restricted and must be turned off in the following areas of the hospital:
- Operating suites (first floor)
- Charlotte & Lewis Steinberg Emergency's patient care areas (1st floor)
- Medical Imaging (first floor)
- BMO Financial Group Breast Diagnostic Centre (1st floor)
- Tippet Foundation Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (2nd floor)
- Intensive Care Unit (6th floor)
- Telemetry Unit (6th floor)
- Waiting area (6th floor)
Virtual Family visits
Virtual family visits continue to be offered as another option to connect patients/residents with their loved ones. We are using Microsoft Teams and FaceTime to connect virtually. To book a visit, please connect directly with the unit.
General site Torokvei Atrium (ground floor lobby)
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8 a.m.–7 p.m.
Weekends and statutory holidays: 9 a.m.–7 p.m.
First floor, West Lobby
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Weekends and statutory holidays: closed
General site Emergency Department (Charlotte & Lewis Steinberg Emergency)
Hours: Monday to Friday: 8 a.m.to 3:30 p.m.
Weekends and statutory holidays: closed